International Journal of Agricultural Policy and Research

Original Research Article

Economic analysis of layers poultry production in Anambra State, Nigeria

*Chiekezie Njideka Rita1, Ozor Maurice Uche2, and Isibor Chinwe Annunciata2


1Department of Agricultural Technology, Anambra State Polytechnic, Mgbakwu, Anambra State, Nigeria, West Africa.
2Departmrnt of Agricultural Economics and extension, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State, Nigeria, West Africa.

*Corresponding Author E-mail: chiekezienjideka(at)gmail.com

Chiekezie Njideka Rita

Ozor Maurice Uche

Isibor Chinwe Annunciata


Article Number: IJAPR.21.014  |   Pages: 129-137  |   Vol. 9 (5), September 2021   |   DOI: https://doi.org/10.15739/IJAPR.21.014

 Received: May 21, 2021  Accepted: July 12, 2021  Published: September 3, 2021

Abstract

The study examined the economic analysis of layers poultry production in Anambra state, Nigeria. Primary data was collected using a well-structured questionnaire which was administered to sampled layers poultry farmers in the study areas. Data collected were analyzed using descriptive statistic, enterprise budgeting techniques and multiple regression analysis. Gender distribution of the respondents shows that 54% of farmers are males while 46% are females. More respondents are between the ages of 31–40years and have household size of 4-6. Farming experience showed that 131 respondents representing 62% had engaged in poultry egg production between 11-20yrs. The feeding cost which is 42.82% of the total cost constituted the largest share of the cost of production. The Profitability Index (PI) was 0.32 which means that for every naira earned as revenue, 0.32kobo was returned to the farmer as net income. An R2 of .7530 explains 75.3% of the variability of the dependent variable (Net income realized) was accounted for by the predictor variables; hence, the remaining 24.7% was due to random disturbance. Out of the ten parameters included in the model, the t- values of flock size (3.88), farming experience (1.82), household size (-1.13) and farming status (1.74) exerted statistic and significant influences on the amount of income realized at 5% level of probability. It is recommended that credit facilities for Poultry financing should be made available in order to boost poultry production in Nigeria since the result indicates that poultry production is a viable venture in Nigeria.

Keywords:

Cost, flock size, profitability, analysis

How to Cite this Article

Chiekezie NR, Ozor MU, Isibor CA(2021). Economic analysis of layers poultry production in Anambra State, Nigeria. Int. J. Agric. Pol. Res. 9(5):129-137.

Author(s) retain the copyright of this article. Author(s) agree that this article remain permanently open access under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 International License.


Select Language »